BALANGA CITY, Bataan -- A 32.15 kilometer-bridge to connect Cavite and Bataan crossing through Manila Bay is among the major projects being pushed for construction by the Regional Development Council in Region 3 (RDC-3).
This was announced by Bataan Gov. Albert Garcia, RDC 3 chairperson, in the 16th Central Luzon RDC Third Full Council meeting held at the Bunker, seat of the provincial government, in this city on Wednesday.
Garcia said the amount approved by the cabinet committee of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) for the project is PHP175.7 billion. About 60 percent will be sourced from foreign funding while the remaining 40 percent will be the national government’s counterpart.
The governor said the Bataan–Cavite Interlink Bridge will connect Mariveles, Bataan to Corregidor and Naic, Cavite. It involves the construction of a four-lane (two lanes each direction) bridge starting from Barangay Alas-asin in Mariveles crossing Manila Bay and ending in Barangay Timalan, Naic.
Two navigation bridges, interchanges, land viaducts, turnaround facilities, special span bridge near Cavite coast, toll plaza and administration building will be constructed.
It aims to provide a fast alternative route from Bataan to Cavite through Roman Highway in Bataan, Gapan-San Fernando-Olongapo Road, North Luzon Expressway and the congested streets of Metro Manila.
“It is expected to cut travel time between the two provinces from six hours to 45 minutes,” Garcia said.
He said that the bridge is one of the projects included in the “Build, Build, Build” program of the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.
The project will be finished in six years or in 2026.
"Together let us work for a better Central Luzon towards a ‘matatag, maginhawa at mapanatag na buhay -- ang ambisyon natin sa mamamayang Pilipino at Pilipinas (stable, comfortable and peaceful life, our ambition for the Filipino people and the Philippines), the Bataan governor said.
Under RDC-3 are the provinces of Bataan, Zambales, Pampanga, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, and Aurora. (PNA)