Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III. (File photo)

MANILA – Prosecutor General Benedicto Malcontento on Tuesday said a preliminary investigation on the case filed against Senator Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III on charges arising from his alleged violation of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) has been scheduled next month.

In a press statement, Malcontento said prosecutors are scheduled to send a subpoena and a copy of the complaint to Pimentel on April 14 and that " a preliminary investigation has been tentatively set on May 20."

Pimentel was named in the complaint in connection with the alleged violation of the quarantine amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.

Lawyer Rico Quicho filed a letter against Pimentel for alleged violation of Republic Act 11332 or the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act which was signed into law last year.

Quicho has been asked to appear before state prosecutors within five days from the lifting of the ECQ to file a hard copy of his complaint.

Last month, the Makati Medical Center said Pimentel breached its infection and containment protocols when he went to the hospital with his wife who was to give birth through Caesarean section.

The hospital said Pimentel's visit "unduly exposed healthcare workers to possible infection" after it was found out that he tested positive for Covid-19. (PNA)