2 ex-rebels in NegOcc get P15-K cash aid

By Nanette Guadalquiver

June 18, 2020, 9:58 am

<p><strong>ASSISTANCE TO FORMER REBELS</strong>. Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson (standing) leads the turn-over of immediate assistance of PHP15,000 each to two former rebels from the sixth district of the province. The ceremony, held at the Capitol Social Hall in Bacolod City on Wednesday (June 17, 2020), was witnessed by officials of the Department of the Interior and Local Government, military, and police. <em>(Photo courtesy of 79th Infantry Battalion, Philippine Army)</em></p>
<p> </p>

ASSISTANCE TO FORMER REBELS. Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson (standing) leads the turn-over of immediate assistance of PHP15,000 each to two former rebels from the sixth district of the province. The ceremony, held at the Capitol Social Hall in Bacolod City on Wednesday (June 17, 2020), was witnessed by officials of the Department of the Interior and Local Government, military, and police. (Photo courtesy of 79th Infantry Battalion, Philippine Army)

 

BACOLOD CITY – Two former members of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) in Negros Occidental received PHP15,000 cash aid each from the government’s Enhanced-Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP) on Wednesday.

The recipients were Raymart Lariosa, 18, a former Militia ng Bayan; and Rondy Rebenito,17, previously a medical staff of Squad 1, Platoon 1 of the NPA’s South West Front in Negros Island.

The former rebels from the province’s sixth district received the checks from Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson in a ceremony held at the Capitol Social Hall here witnessed by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) provincial director Ferdinand Panes, and military and police officials.

“I’m happy to witness this initial assistance given to you. I hope that through this you can start anew with a livelihood that can help your family. We hope that your former comrades who are still fighting the government will follow your example and also return to the fold of the law,” Lacson said.

Col. Noel Baluyan, commander of 302nd Infantry Brigade, said he welcomes the decision of the former rebels to leave the armed struggle so they can avail the benefits from the government.

Lt. Col. Erwin Cariño, commander of the 15th Infantry Battalion based in southern Negros, said that through, E-CLIP the government’s anti-insurgency efforts are sustained.

“The program also highlights the effective collaboration among the different government agencies,” he added.

The E-CLIP, a strategic flagship program of the national government to achieve peace and development agenda, is implemented through the DILG in coordination with the local government to help the former rebels reintegrate back to the community.

Under the E-CLIP, a former rebel is entitled to receive immediate assistance of PHP15,000; livelihood assistance, PHP50,000; firearms remuneration, PHP12,000 to PHP500,000; half-way house assistance; PhilHealth enrollment and medical assistance; education assistance; housing assistance; legal assistance; and healing and reconciliation initiatives.

The CPP-NPA is listed as a terrorist organization by the United States, the European Union, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the Philippines. (PNA)


Comments