Military ops result in mass surrender by Reds in Iloilo, Capiz

By Perla Lena

January 4, 2021, 8:34 pm

<p><strong>SUCCESSFUL OPERATIONS</strong>. NTF ELCAC consultant former cadre Eric Almendras and Spokesperson of PCOO, Usec. Lorraine Marie T. Badoy (first and second from left, second row) share inputs during a press conference Monday (Jan. 4, 2021) following successful military operations against members of the CPP-NPA in Iloilo and Capiz towns last Dec. 30. The operations resulted in the death of nine rebels and arrest of 16 others. <em>(PNA photo by Perla G. Lena)</em></p>

SUCCESSFUL OPERATIONS. NTF ELCAC consultant former cadre Eric Almendras and Spokesperson of PCOO, Usec. Lorraine Marie T. Badoy (first and second from left, second row) share inputs during a press conference Monday (Jan. 4, 2021) following successful military operations against members of the CPP-NPA in Iloilo and Capiz towns last Dec. 30. The operations resulted in the death of nine rebels and arrest of 16 others. (PNA photo by Perla G. Lena)

ILOILO CITY – An influx of surrenderers was noted in Tapaz, Capiz and Calinog, Iloilo after the legitimate operations conducted by the Police Regional Office in Western Visayas (PRO6) and supported by the Philippine Army at the end of last year.

The operations were conducted to serve 28 search warrants to members of the New People’s Army (NPA) for illegal possession of firearms and explosives on Dec. 30, 2020.

In a press conference Monday, Col. Orlando Edralin, deputy brigade commander of the 301st Brigade of the Philippine Army's 3rd Infantry Division (3ID), said an additional 127 residents of the two municipalities turned themselves in to authorities.

He added that the surrenderers themselves volunteered to clear their names and identify those who are supporting the communist terrorist group (CTG).

“The positive effect is that development will surely come because the people themselves have accepted that they were wrong in supporting the CPP-NPA,” Edralin said during the conference held at the Madia-as Hall of the Camp Martin Delgado, this city.

He urged active NPAs and their supporters to come out in the open and return to the fold the law.

Once the surrenderers are validated under the government’s Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integrated Program (E-CLIP), they could avail of remuneration for their firearms and livelihood support.

The validation is still ongoing and so far, 84 have already been profiled.

The Dec. 30 operations by PRO6 and the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) with the support of the Army resulted in the death of nine and arrest of 16 members of the Milisyang Bayan of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)-NPA in two barangays of Calinog and seven villages in Tapaz.

Three others, however, are at-large. They were identified as Allan Caspillo of Lahug and Abelardo C. Diaz from Nayawan, all in Tapaz and Fortunato Legario of Garangan, Calinog.

Among those who died were three barangay council members of Barangay Lahug in Tapaz namely Roy Giganto alias Allan, Reynaldo Katipunan, and Mario Aguirre.

Others who died were Rolando Caspillo Sr., Maurito Diaz Sr., both from Barangay Tacayan; Eliseo Gayas Jr. from Aglinab; Artilito Katipunan from Acuña; and Jomar Vidal from Daan Sur, all in Tapaz town.

Of the arrested, six were from Calinog and the rest came from Tapaz.

PRO6 deputy regional director for operations Col. Ross Alvarado, in his presentation, also said that one of the arrested, Marivic Aguirre from Lahug, a former chairwoman of Tumandok Inc., an open organization of the CPP, is safe and being taken care of, in contrast to a report of the Bulatlat.com that she is missing.

“We would want to correct the news being propagated by bulatlat.com that said person is missing after the operation. She is in Tapaz Municipal Police Station now, safe and well. So please stop misinforming people and stop spreading fake news,” he said.

As of December 31, cases have been filed for violation or Republic Act (RA) 9516 or the Illegal Possession of Explosives Act and Republic Act 10591 or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act.

Alvarado said that 47 firearms, 307 ammunitions, and 38 explosives confiscated were presented as evidence during the filing of the case.

A case for violation of RA 10591 has yet to be filed against Alan Castillo, one of the three at-large suspects.

Meanwhile, Eric J. Almendras also known as Jeffrey Celis, affirmed that the area, particularly Barangay Lahug, where the warrants were served was rebel-infested.

Celis represented the group of Sambayanan (Sentro Alyansa ng Mamayan Para sa Bayan), composed of former cadre and operatives of the CPP-NPA during the press conference.

PCOO Undersecretary Lorraine Marie T. Badoy, spokesperson for the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF ELCAC), lauded the successful military operations.

“I’d like to congratulate the PNP for having done this, for having accomplished this for this is ground breaking. As Eric says our condolences to the family but there are consequences when you joined the communist terrorist group CPP-NPA NDF,” she said.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has provided psychosocial counseling first aid to the families and children affected by the operations in partnership with the local MSWDO of Tapaz.

The department also prepositioned 132 standby food packs and 66 hygiene kits ready for dispatch upon request of the LGU.

The families of the nine casualties will be provided burial assistance worth PHP25,000 each, according to Delia Bagolcol, assistant regional director for operations of DSWD-Western Visayas. (PNA)

 

Comments