BUTUAN CITY – The Police Regional Office in Caraga (PRO-13) recorded a total of 41,757 quarantine protocol violators from September last year up to April 15 this year.

Brig. Gen. Romeo M. Caramat Jr., PRO-13 director, said at least 2,972 were apprehended for violating curfew hours while 15,266 were arrested for disobedience to persons and agents of a person in authority.

Another 22,161 were also caught not wearing facemasks and 1,358 for not following the social distancing protocol, Caramat said in a statement Wednesday.

Caraga Region is under the Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ), where local government units (LGUs) are strictly implementing the minimum quarantine protocols to avert the further spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

As of Tuesday, Caraga Region's total Covid-19 cases stood at 11,017, with 9,436 recoveries, translating into 1,215 remaining active cases.

At least 366 Covid-19 related deaths have been recorded since last year.

“This massive number of violators is alarming. The fight against Covid-19 continues and everyone shall take part in the entire process. Observe safety health protocols as well as the minimum health standards to contain the spread of the virus,” Caramat noted.

He added that Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Guillermo T. Eleazar has ordered police units to strictly implement quarantine protocols, giving premium on respect of human rights and the exercise of maximum tolerance.

The PNP chief, he said, has also reminded the police that penalties for violation of the minimum health safety protocols are already embodied in the local ordinances such as the imposition of fines and community service to discipline the violators. (PNA)