MANILA – The government has enough budget to extend subsidies to people who will be affected by the imposition of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) from Aug. 6 to 20 in the National Capital Region (NCR).
In a Viber message to journalists on Wednesday, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III said the funds will come from dividends remitted by government-owned and controlled corporations (GOCCs).
“We were informed that the amount required is about PHP12 billion and we have indicated that we have sufficient excess revenues to cover this,” he said.
Malacañang said individuals who are qualified to receive subsidy will be given PHP1,000 each, or a maximum of PHP4,000 for four persons in a family.
“(There is) no need for any realignment (of budget) at this point,” Dominguez added.
Last year, funding for some Department of Transportation (DOTr) and Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) projects were realigned to help fund the government’s pandemic-related programs.
The government will implement a two-week ECQ in Metro Manila starting this Friday as a preventive move to address further rise of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) infections, especially those caused by the Delta variant.
The imposition of the most restrictive quarantine classification is currently being implemented in Iloilo City, Iloilo province, Cagayan de Oro City, and Misamis Oriental’s capital, Gingoog City, until Aug. 7.
Iloilo province, its capital city, and Gingoog City have been placed under ECQ from mid to end of July. (PNA)