DILG Secretary Eduardo Año (PPD photo)

MANILA – Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said he is set to submit the shortlist of candidates for the next chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to President Rodrigo Duterte before the end of October.

Año made the clarification after Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, in a virtual Palace briefing on Thursday, said there is already a shortlist of candidates for the post.

“I have not yet submitted my recommended list for the next Chief PNP. I'll submit the list on the last week of October,” Año said in a text message to Philippine News Agency (PNA).

“Seniority, merit, and service reputation will be my basis on coming up with a recommendation,” he added.

PNP chief, Gen. Guillermo Eleazar is set to bow out of the service on November 13, upon reaching the mandatory retirement age of 56.

Eleazar is a member of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Hinirang Class of 1987.

Before being named as the country's 26th top cop, he held all three top posts of the police force -- deputy chief for administration, deputy chief for operations, and chief of the directorial staff.

He also served as director of the National Capital Regional Office.

Eleazar assumed as PNP chief on May 7, replacing Gen. Debold Sinas. (PNA)