(File photo)

MANILA – President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has ordered the Department of Health (DOH) to further study the Covid-19 Alert Level System to make it more appropriate for the country’s current situation.

In a televised public briefing Friday, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the DOH presented the Covid-19 Alert Level System and its metrics to Marcos during their meeting earlier this week.

“And he had some form of guidance for us, mayroon po siyang mga komento, in-analyze niya kung ano ‘yung mga metrics natin ngayon (he had some comments, he analyzed our current metrics),” she said.

“And, binigyan niya po kami ng instructions to further study this alert level [system] para mas maging (he gave us instructions to further study this alert level [system] so it will be more) appropriate for our situation,” she added.

While the country continues to log an increase in Covid-19 cases, its classification for Covid-19 remains to be low risk.

Most of the active positive cases are classified as mild and asymptomatic, Vergeire said.

“In our latest recorded data, lumabas na almost 97 percent are mild and asymptomatic cases among those who were tested dito po sa ating bansa (it showed that almost 90 percent are mild and asymptomatic cases among those who were tested positive in our country),” she added.

When asked if the operations of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases and the National Task Force Against Covid-19 would continue, Vergeire disclosed that they did not discuss the matter during the meeting with Marcos.

“And I think, it will be appropriate if it is going to be the Office of the President to provide more details on this,” she said. (PNA)