DUMAGUETE CITY – Negros Oriental reported its sixth mortality case due to dengue in the midst of the continuous climb of cases in the province.
Records at the Provincial Health Office (PHO) on Thursday showed that as of the latest weekly reporting, a total of 991 cases were logged across the province from January 1 to July 23.
This is 153 percent higher than the 391 cases and zero death recorded in the same period last year.
The reported deaths are two from Bayawan City, and one each from this capital city, Guihulngan City, Sta. Catalina, and Basay.
No other details were made available on the latest mortality.
Canlaon City logged the highest number of cases at 224; followed by Bayawan City, 115; Dumaguete City, 96; Guihulngan City, 68; and Sibulan, 55.
The rest of the towns and cities had 54 or fewer cases.
Jennifer Remollo, the Department of Health (DOH) provincial officer of Negros Oriental, told the Philippine News Agency that her office called for a virtual conference this week with their nurses deployed to the local government units (LGUs) to discuss the current dengue status in the province.
She said they are relentlessly enforcing measures to contain the spread of the viral disease.
“While it is still not a red flag, the rising cases of dengue is already a cause for concern and we are asking the public to cooperate in combating this viral infection, especially in the midst of the rainy season,” Remollo said. (PNA)