MANILA – The Quezon City legal department said Wednesday the Colegio de San Lorenzo may face legal action as a result of the school’s sudden and unexpected closure.
In a message sent to the Philippine News Agency, city legal counsel Orlando Paolo Casimiro said the city government is willing and ready to assist parents, students, teachers, and non-teaching personnel in case they want to file charges against the school.
“The possible legal action(s) against CDSL will be dependent upon those directly affected as well as on the CHED (Commission on Higher Education) and DepEd (Department of Education) who have jurisdiction over it as an educational institution. Mayor Joy Belmonte has instructed my Office through our Public Assistance and Legal Aid Office to assist those who have been affected by the incident,” Casimiro said.
He added “they can come to my office for any legal assistance concerning the matter”.
As far as the city government is concerned, Casimiro said they are already investigating the school for possible violations of local ordinances as well as compliance with the necessary permits relating to the schools operation.
“The priority right now is to help the students continue their studies and for the teachers and non-teaching staff (to) have a source of income or livelihood,” he added.
Over 1,300 students were affected by the sudden and unexpected closure of CDSL announced on its supposed first day of classes last August 15.
Teachers and non-teaching personnel of the school were also left jobless because of the closure.
Citing his conversation with the school representatives on Tuesday, Casimiro said there are a total of 717 students from nursery to grade 12 that were affected, aside from the 652 college students displaced by the closure, of which, 172 were graduating under the current school year.
Several schools have so far announced readiness to accept displaced CDSL students, and even teachers, and non-teaching personnel.
Meanwhile, a task force that will coordinate with the CDSL management has already been created by the DepEd.
Vice President and Education Secretary Sara Duterte in an interview with the media said a notice for the conference scheduled for Thursday has already been sent to the school owners and officials.
Duterte said among the topics she wants to resolve and discuss with the school owner and officials is if they have any plans to assist displaced learners. (PNA)