CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – A decrease in dengue cases here have been recorded for the past three weeks, the City Health Office (CHO) reported Monday.

In a statement, Dr. Teodulfo Joselito Retuya Jr., the CHO's resident epidemiologist, said the sustained barangay level dengue awareness campaign is paying off as cases went down to 21.

The drop came days after the CHO reported that the city logged 692 dengue cases from January to July this year, or more than double the 327 dengue cases recorded in the same period last year.

Compared to 2021, Retuya said the number of dengue cases increased from June to August this year.

"In June this year, we logged 218 cases, then 236 cases in July and 132 cases in August compared to 42 in June, 67 in July, and 62 in August last year,” he said.

“Thankfully due to our aggressive barangay level information campaign and proactive community, our cases went down to 31."

Retuya said the CHO recorded the city’s dengue incidence following a pattern in which cases go up every two to three years.

"July remains the highest so far in several dengue cases though the city logged 111 cases last March and 118 cases last April," he said.

Unlike the coronavirus disease 2019 which has more than one vaccine, Retuya said a dengue vaccine has yet to be made available in the Philippines.

"Dengue claimed more lives (in the country) than Covid-19 because there’s no vaccine that can be distributed to the public," he said. (PNA)