(Photo courtesy of Philippine Coast Guard)

MANILA – Some 850 families have so far been affected by Typhoon Karding which drenched Luzon on Sunday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported on Monday.

In its initial situation report, the agency said the figure is equivalent to 3,097 individuals.

Of this number, 168 families or 653 persons are living in 28 barangays in Cagayan Valley, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, and the Cordillera Administrative Region.

Meanwhile, 682 families or 2,444 persons were earlier preemptively evacuated in Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Calabarzon, Mimaropa and Western Visayas.

Some 147 families are taking shelter inside 34 evacuation centers with the remainder being aided by families and friends.

The NDRRMC has yet to receive reports of casualties.

Two roads in the Bicol Region are not passable while around 47 ports were reported to have suspended operations or were non-operational as of posting time.

The NDRRMC also reported that 2,737 passengers are stranded along with 260 rolling cargoes, 24 vessels, and 13 motorbancas in Calabarzon, Mimaropa and Bicol regions.

The initial damage to infrastructure was placed at PHP1 million in Mimaropa.

The NDRRMC also reported that there are standby funds amounting to PHP186.4 million available at the Department of Social Welfare and Development central and field offices. The amount includes a quick reaction fund worth PHP103 million.

Stockpiles consisting of family food packs and other food and non-food items are placed at PHP985.4 million.

Zero casualty

In Quezon City, the local government said it did not record any casualty and lauded its residents for heeding instructions, especially the order to evacuate.

Dahil sa inyong pakikiisa, zero casualty ang lungsod. Sa kasagsagan ng forced at preemptive evacuation, umabot sa 9,371 ang evacuees. Lahat, nabigyan ng family food packs, hot meals at maayos na tulugan (Because of your cooperation, the city has zero casualties. At the height of the forced and preemptive evacuation, the evacuees reached 9,371. All, were given family food packs, hot meals and a good place to sleep),” the city government posted on Facebook.

Mayor Joy Belmonte said that as of 10 a.m., the city’s Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO) gave the clearance for evacuees in 82 sites to go home, except those who live in still submerged areas.

Belmonte praised the city’s first responders for keeping residents safe -- QCDRRMO, Department of Public Order and Safety, Quezon City Task Force for Transport and Traffic Management, City Health Department, City Engineering Department, Radio Communication Department, District Officers, Meralco, Metro Manila Development Authority, Department of Sanitation and Clean up Works of QC, General Services Department, Social Services Development Division, Department of Building Official, QC Parks Development and Administration Department, and other employees of the city government.

Despite the lifting of typhoon signals in the National Capital Region, Belmonte reminded residents to still be cautious.

As of 11 a.m., only Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 1 is hoisted over the central and western portions of Pangasinan (Santa Barbara, Bayambang, Mangaldan, Dagupan City, Calasiao, San Carlos City, Basista, Urbiztondo, Mangatarem, Aguilar, Bugallon, Binmaley, Lingayen, Labrador, Sual, City of Alaminos, Bolinao, Anda, Bani, Agno, Burgos, Mabini, Dasol, Infanta, Malasiqui, Alcala, Bautista); Zambales; western portion of Tarlac (Camiling, San Clemente, Santa Ignacia, San Jose, Mayantoc, Capas, Bamban); and northwestern portion of Pampanga (Mabalacat City, Angeles City, Porac, Floridablanca).

Typhoon Karding is expected to exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Monday night. (PNA)