(Photo courtesy of Panukulan, Quezon LGU)

MANILA – The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the province of Quezon is seen to be the hardest-hit area by Super Typhoon Karding as damage assessment in affected areas continues.

"Ongoing assessment tayo and of course we are looking at Quezon based sa initial report natin, umikot nga kami kanina with the President (Ferdinand Marcos Jr.) ano, tiningnan namin itong Nueva Ecija area at mukhang very minimal yung effect nung bagyo (Our assessment is still ongoing and of course, we are looking at Quezon based on the initial report. We have flown with the President earlier and when we look into the Nueva Ecija area, it seems the effect of the typhoon there is minimal)," NDRRMC spokesperson and Office of Civil Defense Assistant Secretary Bernardo Rafaelito Alejandro IV said in Monday's Laging Handa briefing.

Alejandro added that they are waiting for more reports on typhoon damage to come in.

"But so far we have not received any damage report kasi isa dyan ongoing pa ang ating assessment ano kasama dyan ang mga LGUs (local government units), so hopefully before the end of the day, we will have those figures but so far in general mukhang very minimal as we speak (But so far, we are still to receive any damage report because our assessment is still ongoing, the LGUs are helping with that, so hopefully before the end of the day, we will have those figures but so far in general (damage) looks very minimal as we speak)," Alejandro said.

He added that the authorities have evacuated 52,000 persons, with casualties reported in Bulacan and reports of missing individuals in Camarines Norte.

He, however, said they are still gathering reports on these incidents.

Bernardo also said the NDRRMC has received reports about power interruption in Quezon and Camarines as well as intermittent communication lines in Quezon.

The NDRRMC spokesperson also said around 43 seaports have suspended operations but he is hoping that these will resume once the typhoon and gale signals have been cleared.

He also said that around 2,882 passengers have been stranded in Calabarzon, Mimaropa and Bicol regions so far and that these persons will resume their travels once the Coast Guard allows the resumption of ship movements with the improving weather conditions. (PNA)