CALAMITY VICTIMS. Residents of Cagayan de Oro City wait for the distribution of cash assistance at the city hall grounds on Thursday (Nov. 24, 2022). The recipients came from six villages that were affected by the recent flooding and fire in the city. (Image courtesy of City Mayor's Office) 

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – More than PHP3 million in cash assistance was given to 538 recipients who were affected by the recent flooding and fire in this city.

On Thursday, the recipients gathered at the city hall and were given PHP10,000 each for those houses that were razed and also PHP5,000 each for dwellings that were flooded in the previous months.

The funds were sourced from the city government with the help of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Office of Senator Christopher Lawrence Go.

DSWD - Northern Mindanao Chief Administrative Officer Bellene Larena Ahmad said the amount may not be enough for the families but it is expected to somehow help them amid the increasing prices of commodities in the market.

"We are hoping that you will spend the money wisely, and may it provide a contribution to your daily living," she said.

The recipients came from the six affected villages in the city.

One of them, Lea Javier, was affected by the fire in Barangay Puerto last month.

"I am glad God has used some people to reach out to us so that they can give help to us fire victims," she said in the vernacular.

Recipients were also given food packs and other relief items. (PNA)