MANILA – New Year's Eve is still a week away, but the Department of Health (DOH) has already recorded at least four fireworks-related injuries since Dec. 21.
In its Saturday bulletin, the DOH said one case was reported on Dec. 21 while the three others were on Dec. 23, based on the reports from at least 61 hospitals across the country.
The figure is similar to the case count from the same period in 2021, the DOH said.
"Sa kasalukuyan, ang kabuuang bilang ng mga kaso ng pinsala dulot ng paputok ay apat, kasing dami ng naitala noong nakaraang taon sa sakop na petsa. Umiwas sa paputok para maaaring magdiwang nang kumpleto at ligtas ang buong pamilya ngayong Pasko at Bagong Taon (At present, there are four fireworks-related injuries, the same as the number recorded last year. Avoid using fireworks so that everyone may celebrate the Christmas and New Year safe and complete," it reminded the public.
The DOH said there was a "downtrend" of fireworks-related injuries since 2016. Records showed that from as high as 677 cases posted six years ago, it went down to its lowest of 122 last year. (PNA)