Zambo City’s P10-M subsidy raises palay buying price of NFA

By Teofilo Garcia, Jr.

March 13, 2023, 5:19 pm

<p>The Zamboanga City Hall.<em> (PNA file photo)</em></p>

The Zamboanga City Hall. (PNA file photo)

ZAMBOANGA CITY – The city government's PHP10-million subsidy has increased by PHP5 the palay buying price, a boon for local rice farmers selling their harvests to the National Food Authority.

This came after the city government paid Monday the subsidy amount to the NFA-Zamboanga City branch.

“From PHP19 paid by the NFA per kilo, it will now increase to PHP24 a kilo of palay,” said Mayor John Dalipe in an interview Monday.

Dalipe said the local government initiated the subsidy to increase the rice production of the city as well as to encourages local farmers to plant more rice.

The local palay farmers supply 30 percent to 40 percent of the city’s demand, while the remaining 60 percent comes from nearby rice-producing provinces as well as from other countries via Malaysia.

Dalipe said the subsidy is implemented through the Palay Marketing Assistance Program for Legislators and Local Government Unit program.

The farmer-beneficiaries like the Guisao-Cabaluay Farmers and Irrigators Association led by Jover Casimiro, said the subsidy is a big help to their sector and will help boosts rice production and income.

Meanwhile, the mayor said he will also look for ways to help farmers in transporting their palay to the NFA buying stations. (PNA)