LAOAG CITY – Around a dozen families in a flood-prone Lanao village in Bangui, Ilocos Norte were preemptively evacuated to safer grounds on Tuesday due to the continuing threat of Typhoon Betty.
Acting Bangui Vice Mayor Denton Lawrence Garvida confirmed this in a media interview Tuesday as he urged other residents living in low-lying areas to stay alert and cooperate with local authorities if they are threatened by floodwaters or severe landslide.
On Tuesday morning, strong winds with light to moderate rainfall were experienced in most part of the province, prompting the Ilocos Norte government to announce the cancelation of classes in all levels and work in government offices, except those involved in emergency response.
Marcel Tabije, local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer, said in an interview Tuesday that the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council remained under a red alert status to ensure zero casualty during natural calamities.
“We reiterate to the public to stay vigilant and take appropriate actions against possible flooding or landslides. We are also calling on our barangay officials and health workers to check on the safety of senior citizens and persons with disabilities during typhoon,” Tabije said.
The local government of Solsona town has temporarily closed its tourism viewdeck up in the mountains along the Solsona-Apayao Road because the road leading up to it has become slippery and prone to landslides.
Since last week, the PDRRMC and various local government units and national government agencies have been constantly monitoring the movement of the typhoon.
From time to time, advisories on flash floods, rain-induced landslides and gale warning were being posted on Facebook.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration expects Betty to exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Friday. (PNA)