MANILA – President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday assured the various local government units (LGUs) of his administration’s continued support for their climate adaptation projects.
Marcos made the vow, as he led the presentation of the People's Survival Fund (PSF) Resolutions approving the local climate adaptation projects amounting to over PHP541 million.
In a ceremony at Malacañan Palace in Manila, Marcos said the approval of the PSF-funded climate adaptation projects is a testament to the government’s unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship and climate resilience.
“This milestone not only reinforces our dedication to climate adaptation but it also signifies that for the first time, in a remarkably short period, the PSF Board has approved projects of such magnitude. The PSF and the projects it funds will serve as a safeguard as we adapt to climate change and mitigate its effects,” Marcos said.
“To the beneficiaries of the PSF, I extend my congratulations and our continuing support to all your efforts to mitigate and to adapt to the effects of climate change in our country. Your dedication to climate related projects is noteworthy and will help boost the resilience of our people and their communities,” he added.
Marcos expressed optimism that with the implementation of local climate adaptation projects, the dream for a “sustainable and climate-resilient Philippines” is attainable.
He enjoined the LGU beneficiaries to ensure the successful implementation of their PSF-funded projects and hoped that other local governments would be inspired to carry out similar initiatives.
“You are not alone in this effort. We in the national government are behind you and are ready to do all that we need to do and to assist you, to guide you, so that these projects will be successful and will lead on to greater and bigger mitigation efforts for climate change effects,” Marcos said.
Established under Republic Act 10174 in 2012, the PSF had an initial capitalization of PHP1 billion to finance adaptation programs and projects of LGUs and accredited local and community organizations.
The recent approval of the six new climate adaptation projects worth over PHP541 million brings the total number of PSF-funded projects to 11 climate adaptation initiatives and six projects for Project Development Grants (PDG), amounting to a combined PHP889.6 million.
This increased the PSF’s utilization rate to 89 percent, leaving only 11 percent of the initial allocation of PHP1 billion.
The Provincial Government of Mountain Province received PHP271.15 million for the construction of a Climate Field School for farmers, while the Province of Maramag, Bukidnon secured PHP126.4 million for the installation of drainage and early warning systems, as well as the development of the agroforestry industry.
The Borongan City government in Eastern Samar received a PSF grant amounting to PHP117.96 million for the installation of embankment infrastructure and reforestation for enhanced flood control of the Lo-om River.
The Municipality of Cabagan, Isabela was also provided a grant worth PHP21.28 million for the installation of an irrigation project, while the Municipality of Catanauan, Quezon Province was granted PSF funding worth PHP264 million for its mangrove rehabilitation project.
The Municipality of Besao, Mountain Province received a grant worth PHP2 million for the Water Harvesting Structures Project.
Meanwhile, Marcos noted that he would leave for Dubai on Thursday to participate in the 28th Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
He said he would rally the global community and call on nations to honor their commitments, particularly in climate financing.
“We can proudly say that the Philippines is a trailblazer in domestic climate finance for adaptation, showcasing our nation’s commitment to global environmental responsibility,” Marcos said. (PNA)