MANILA – The Saudi Arabian leaders have extended their condolences to President Rodrigo Duterte following the devastation left by Typhoon Odette that battered parts of the Visayas and Mindanao last week.
Saudi Arabia's state media said King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud sent a cable of condolences and sympathies to the Chief Executive.
"In his cable, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques shared with His Excellency, families of the deceased and the friendly people of the Philippines his deepest condolence and profound sympathy on the human losses resulting from the affliction that hit several cities of the country, wishing the injured a speedy recovery and the missing people safe return," the Saudi Press Agency said.
Chinese President Xi Jinping also extended his condolences to the chief executive over the recent calamity.
"Xi said he was shocked to learn that the Philippines was hit by the typhoon, which has caused heavy casualties and property losses," the Chinese president was quoted as saying by Xinhua News Agency on Tuesday.
"Xi, on behalf of the Chinese government and people as well as in his own name, expressed deep condolences to the victims of the disaster and extended sincere sympathies to the bereaved families and the injured," it added.
China said it stands ready to provide assistance to the Philippines within its capacity. Earlier, the Chinese Embassy announced about PHP8 million worth of relief goods to the most affected population in Visayas and Mindanao.
On top of this, the Federation of Filipino Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry Inc. (FFCCCII) announced a PHP12 million contribution through its Filipino Chinese Community Calamity Fund.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported that as of Tuesday morning, the casualty count from the typhoon has climbed to 156, with 37 missing and 275 injured. (PNA)