(File photo)

MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP) is looking into possible lapses in the security measures in the wake of four bomb attacks in Mindanao, as police commanders are warned against sloppy work in protecting their areas of responsibility (AORs).

PNP director for operations Maj. Gen. Valeriano de Leon said the Regional Director of the Police Regional Office 9 is doing an assessment if there were lapses in the intelligence-gathering and security measures in Isabela City in Basilan where two people were injured in Monday’s twin explosions.

"We cannot sacrifice that every day we suffer bombs in your respective areas o baka meron mas magaling na kailangan humalili doon sa mga commanders (or there are better ones who can replace the commanders),” de Leon said in a media statement Thursday.

De Leon said PNP officer-in-charge Lt. Gen. Vicente Danao Jr. has ordered police regional directors to continuously investigate the blasts to find out if there were lapses in the intelligence units and personnel.

After the two bus bombings in Tacurong City and Koronadal City last week, de Leon issued a memorandum to all regional directors and unit Commanders to intensify the security measures in their areas to prevent a repeat of the incident.

Three days later, two separate explosions occurred near a fast food restaurant and near the garage of a bus terminal in Isabela City.

A Special Investigation Task Group was created to look into the motive and the perpetrators of the bombings.

He also appealed to the public, especially those in Mindanao, to be vigilant.

“Huwag po kayong mangamba because the PNP and the AFP are on top of the situation. Let us remain vigilant. Kapag merong mga unattended baggage, huwag po kayong mag-panic. Kayo ay mag-report sa police station kung may nalaman po kayong impormasyon (Don't worry because the PNP and the AFP are on top of the situation. Let us remain vigilant. If you have unattended baggage, don't panic. You should report to the police station if you find any information),” de Leon said.

Following the bombings, all PNP units are placed under the highest security alert status. (PNA)