President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.  (Photo courtesy of BBM Media Bureau)

MANILA – President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. will maintain his “good relationship” with the mainstream media during his six-year stint as the country’s top official, his incoming press chief said Thursday.

In an interview with GMA News’ Unang Balita, Press Secretary-designate Trixie Cruz-Angeles ensured that Marcos will remain cordial with the journalists.

“Wala naman pong nagbago (Nothing has changed). It will be the same as always,” Cruz-Angeles said. “So far, the President-[elect] has had a pretty good relationship with the mainstream media. So, we don’t see any differences right now.”

Marcos, Cruz-Angeles said, also guaranteed that his administration will be “transparent,” as he vowed to “regularly” address the media.

Cruz-Angeles, however, could not say how often Marcos would meet with the media, stressing that the President-elect’s “working style” would only be known once he assumes the presidency.

“We have to see what he is going to be like kapag nandoon na sa (when he is already at) Malacañang. So, titignan pa po natin (let us see). Although, he does promise a transparent government and he will be regularly addressing the media,” she said.

No spokesperson

Cruz-Angeles also clarified that Marcos is not keen to appoint a spokesperson.

She issued the statement following reports that Marcos is eyeing either former Public Works Undersecretary Karen Jimeno or columnist Rigoberto Tiglao as his spokesperson.

“Maliwanag po ‘yung statement ni President-elect (The President-elect’s statement is clear) that he will not designate a spokesperson,” she said. “As far as I know, hindi pa po nagbabago ‘yung polisiya na ‘yun. Wala pa po kaming information kung nagbago ‘yun, so we are operating on that principle for now.”

Cruz-Angeles said she would make an announcement, in case Marcos decides to designate a spokesperson.

Reviewing current policy on vloggers’ accreditation

Cruz-Angeles said the incoming PCOO would undertake a thorough review of the existing policy on vloggers’ accreditation at Malacañang to determine whether it is now the “right time” to allow them to cover presidential events and activities.

She was referring to Department Order (DO) 15 issued by outgoing Communications Secretary Martin Andanar on Aug. 8, 2017 to create a provisional social media practitioner accreditation system handled by the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO)-Social Media Office.

DO 15 gives Filipino social media practitioners access to Malacañan Palace, so long as they are at least 18 years old and have at least 5,000 followers on any social media platform.

Cruz-Angeles, who had a role in crafting the policy for vloggers when she was still part of the PCOO led by Andanar, lamented that the existing order has not been implemented under the outgoing administration.

“Gumawa kami ng polisiya (We crafted a policy), but it was not implemented,” she said.

She said her communications team would look into the possibility of a separate briefing for social media influencers.

“Wala pa pong desisyon (There is no decision yet) that is being made),” Cruz-Angeles said. “So, una ang gagawin namin rerepasuhin namin at tignan namin din kung naaangkop na ang panahon para ma-admit ang ilang mga social media practitioners dito sa Malacañang briefing and so on (the first thing that we will do is to review and determine whether it is now the right time to give social media practitioners access to Malacañang).” (PNA)