MANILA – The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) has released around PHP1.58 billion worth of special allotment to help more than 150,000 families hit by Typhoon Odette.
In a statement on Wednesday, the DBM said the funds were released Monday for the distribution of emergency shelter assistance amounting to PHP10,000 for each affected family.
"The funding to support the PHP10,000 emergency shelter assistance to over 150,000 households affected by Typhoon Odette," it added.
This, after Budget Secretary Amenah Pangandaman granted the request of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to provide emergency shelter assistance to help around 153,410 households in rebuilding their damaged houses in Western Visayas, Central VIsayas, Northern Mindanao, and Caraga.
Following the DSWD's recommendation, Pangandaman approved a special allotment amounting to PHP1,580,123,000 the DBM said.
"The DSWD requested for the release of the PHP1.5 billion on August 2, 2022, which was received by the DBM on August 3, 2022. The corresponding Special Allotment Release Order (SARO) was released on August 8, 2022," it said.
Pangandaman vowed that the administration would ensure the reconstruction of damaged houses of the typhoon victims.
“Bawat isa sa atin ay itinuturing ang tahanan bilang isang safe haven o ligtas na lugar. Ang pagkakaroon ng isang maayos na tahanan ay dalangin ng bawat Pilipino. Kaya kaisa po ang DBM sa pagtulong na masigurong bawat tahanang nasira ng bagyong Odette ay maiayos upang komportableng masilungan ng ating mga kababayan kasama ang kanilang pamilya at mga mahal sa buhay (Each of us considers our home as safe haven or safe space. Each Filipino prays for a nice home. So, the DBM will help ensure that each house damaged by Typhoon Odette will be reconstructed to give our fellow countrymen, along with their families and loved ones, a comfortable home)," Pangandaman said.
On August 2, the DSWD asked the DBM to release the funds for “Odette” victims.
Typhoon Odette in December 2021 battered the country, affecting families in Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, and Caraga.
“Bagaman tumama ang bagyong Odette noong nakaraang taon, hindi po nakalimutan ng inyong pamahalaan ang mga nasalanta. Patuloy ang pagbibigay natin ng tulong sa mga nangangailangan para sa kanilang pagbangon muli (This administration looks after the victims of Typhoon Odette that hit the country last year. We will continue to provide assistance for their recovery),” Pangandaman added.
Also on Monday, the DBM approved the release of additional funds worth PHP2 billion to help Filipinos who are "in difficult circumstances, including those in crisis situations."
Pangandaman also granted on August 1 the DSWD's request to release PHP4.1-billion special allotment to aid those who are most affected by the rising prices of fuel and basic commodities. (PNA)