DENGUE REPORT. Iloilo Provincial Health Office head Dr. Maria Socorro Quiñon said deaths due to dengue cases in the province have increased to 19 with the addition of two new fatalities recorded in August. She said on Thursday (Sept. 8, 2022) that most of the cases are those aged 1 to 10 years old. (PNA file photo)

ILOILO CITY – The Iloilo Provincial Health Office (IPHO) is urging the public not to be complacent and continue to observe the "4S" strategy to combat dengue that has claimed 19 lives out of the 2,291 cases it recorded from Jan. 1 to Sept. 3 period.

“Unfortunately we have 19 deaths; the latest was the five-year-old from San Enrique who died Aug. 28 and a 10-year-old from Guimbal who also died last Aug. 18,” said IPHO head Dr. Maria Socorro Quiñon in a media interview on Thursday.

The "4S" strategy includes search and destroy, seek early medication, self-protection, and say "yes" to fogging when there is an impending outbreak.

Data from the Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (PESU) of the IPHO showed that cases in the province increased by 560.2 percent when compared with the 347, including one death in the same period last year.

This year’s municipalities with high cases were Oton, San Joaquin, Tubungan, Guimbal with four deaths each; Banate and Miagao each with two deaths; Pototan and Dumangas with one death each; and Leon and Pavia with no death recorded.

The provincial health officer added that the most affected age group is still the one to 10 years old with 923 cases; 11 to 21 years with 741, and 21 to 30 years old with 304 cases.

Dengue also hit those less than one year old with 89 cases. (PNA)