CALAMITY DONATION. The Davao City government will extend financial assistance to calamity victims in the country, with total allocated funds of PHP6 million. The City Council approved the budget Tuesday (Oct. 4, 2022), said Alfredo Baloran, the chief of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office. (Photo courtesy of Davao CIO)

DAVAO CITY – The City Council has approved a resolution of the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to extend PHP6 million in financial assistance to calamity-stricken areas in the country through the city’s quick response fund.

Davao City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office head Alfredo Baloran said Wednesday recipient provinces and municipalities have earlier complied with the documents needed for the release of the cash aid.

"There are requirements that they submitted to our office, and we processed it. We submitted it to the city budget for funding, with the city council having to approve it first,” he said.

The resolution, approved on Tuesday, states that provinces are recommended to receive PHP1 million while municipalities will get PHP300,000 each.

Of the total donation fund, PHP3.8 million was approved to help two provinces and six municipalities that declared a state of calamity due to Super Typhoon Karding that hit the country last month.

The provinces of Quezon and Nueva Ecija and the municipalities of Macabebe, Pampanga; San Miguel, Bulacan; Patnanungan, Quezon; Candaba, Pampanga; Dingalan, Aurora; and Cabangan, Zambales were named as beneficiaries.

The other PHP1.9 million was allocated for areas affected by the magnitude 7.3 earthquake in parts of Luzon in July 2022. These are the province of Abra, and the municipalities of Besao, Bauko, and Tadian in Mt. Province.

The municipality of Tampakan in South Cotabato, which declared a state of calamity in July due to floods and landslides, will also get PHP300,000. (PNA)