MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday touted its accomplishments in battling crime and illegal drugs, stressing that these numbers show that the organization is efficient and functional in performing its mandate.
PNP public information chief Brig. Gen. Redrico Maranan issued the statement after former President Rodrigo Duterte called on the entire police force to resign for being the “gatekeeper” of illegal drug trade in the country.
In refuting Duterte’s remarks, Maranan said the PNP’s anti-drug campaign remains aggressive where police officers seized a total of PHP6.2 billion worth of illegal drugs from January to June 9 this year.
In the same period, a total of 25,641 drug suspects were arrested in 19,464 police operations.
For anti-crime operations, it said police forces across the country were able to arrest 31,956 wanted persons.
The PNP also logged a 10 percent dip in focus crimes from Jan. 1 to June 9 this year with 16,492 incidents, from 18,270 incidents in the same period last year.
“These numbers are manifestations that we have effective and efficient anti-crime strategies and programs and we continue to provide a safe environment to every Filipino and a healthy economic environment to the business sector,” Maranan added.
Duterte’s statement was an apparent frustration on the continuous involvement of some policemen in illegal drug activities, the most recent of which was the arrest of dismissed policeman Rodolfo Mayo Jr. who yielded over 990 kilos of shabu in Manila in October last year.
On Tuesday, June 13, Interior Secretary Benhur Abalos said two police generals and 48 others were charged in connection with the anomalies and the attempt to absolve Mayo in the confiscated drugs.
Under his presidency, Duterte initiated the most aggressive campaign against illegal drugs, with critics saying the six-year drug war resulted in the deaths of thousands but apparently did not succeed as the illegal drugs trade remained almost a year after he stepped down.
Duterte was also very vocal against the involvement of policemen in the illegal drug trade.
The PNP, meanwhile acknowledged the involvement of its personnel in the illegal drugs operations but maintained that the number is minimal.
“The PNP acknowledges that a minimum number of PNP personnel violated policies and laws. However, the organization did not tolerate such wrongdoings; we penalized those who were proven guilty,” it said.
Citing its latest data, the PNP said that from Jan. 1, 2022 to June 7 this year, a total of 836 policemen were dismissed from the service, including Mayo, while 1,703 others were suspended.
“This is a manifestation that the organization has well-functioning disciplinary mechanisms to weed out those who are unfit to be in the organization,” the statement read.
In responding to Duterte’s criticisms, the PNP also cited a survey result wherein it showed that eight out of every 10 Filipinos trust the PNP, especially on the aspect of performance which it said, is a testament of the hard work and sacrifices of every cop down to the street.
“Despite issues and challenges, the PNP assures the public that we will continue to do our mandated tasks with the highest regard to human rights and utmost dedication for our countrymen,” the statement read. (PNA)