MANILA – More than half of the 18 third-level officers of the Philippine National Police (PNP) whose courtesy resignations were accepted by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. remain in their present positions.
Speaking to reporters in Camp Crame, Quezon City on Thursday, PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo said 13 officials are still occupying positions while five are currently on floating status.
“Sa ngayon -- five naka-assign sa PHAU (Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit). Yun po floating status kasi wala silang designation while the remaining 13 remains occupying present positions while waiting for the decision kung sila ay ire-relieve pending processing ng resignation (So far -- five are now with PHAU. That's floating status because they have no designation while the remaining 13 are still occupying their present positions while waiting for the decision if they will be relieved pending processing of their resignations),” Fajardo said.
On Tuesday, the President accepted the courtesy resignation of the following officials for their alleged involvement in illegal drugs:
-- Brigadier Generals Remus Medina, Randy Peralta and Pablo Labra II;
-- Colonels Rogarth Campo, Rommel Ochave, Rommel Velasco, Robin King Sarmiento, Fernando Ortega, Rex Derilo, Julian Olonan, Rolando Portera, Lawrence Cajipe, Dario Menor, Joel Tampis, Michael David, Igmedio Bernaldez, Rodolfo Albotra Jr., and Marvin Sanchez.
PNP chief Gen. Benjamin Acorda Jr. is set to meet Palace officials to clarify the fate of these officers.
“Wala pa po tayong opisyal na kopya ng dokumento na pinirmahan ng ating Presidente para tingnan yung specific na wording doon -- like kung may colatilla (We still do not have an official copy of the document signed by our President to check the specific wording there -- like if there is a colatilla),” Fajardo said.
“There was an earlier pronouncement before that once your resignation will be accepted you will be considered as optionally retired for purposes of receiving our retirement benefits. That's what we have to clarify, the status of the 18 if they are indeed included in the document signed by the President,” she explained.
Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. earlier called on third-level officers of the police force to submit their courtesy resignations which were screened by the National Police Commission Ad Hoc Advisory Group on their alleged involvement in illegal drugs.
The move was an offshoot of the 990-kg drug haul in Tondo Manila last year in the warehouse owned by dismissed police Master Sgt. Rodolfo Mayo.
The ad hoc committee, however, rejected the courtesy resignations of 935 other police officials.
Fajardo, meanwhile, said 69 cops are now facing criminal and administrative charges after they were found to have committed irregularities during the seizure of drugs. (PNA)